Then David took his staff in his hand, and chose five smooth stones from the river valley, and put them in his shepherd’s bag…
+ 1 Samuel 17:40
Goliath looked unbeatable, and the sight of a young kid without armor or sword approaching the great giant must have been laughable to the Philistines - and terrifying to the Israelites! But God can make a way out of no way - and the biggest problems we face today can be occasions for taking heart, having courage, and getting to work. Goliath’s gonna fall!
Summer Fun This Week
• How about some good-natured competition? Tennis, basketball, ultimate frisbee, freeze tag, mini golf, wiffle ball - pick your summer sport, embrace the challenge, and have some fun!
• David was all about accuracy, so try some target practice: toss smooth stones at a log, a frisbee at a tree trunk, or a crumpled paper ball at a waste basket. See how many you can get out of ten - and try taking turns as a team to set records!
• Find a shoreline and skip some “smooth stones” across the water.
• Visit an organization fighting against a modern “Goliath” like homelessness, hunger, illiteracy, or poverty
• Try memorizing “Room to Fall” - and see if you can sing it all the way through!
Dinner conversation starters:
° What are the Goliath-sized problems we face today, both personally and as a global community?
° How do you gather the courage and hope needed to face challenges that seem impossible?